History: David William Rowley

While going to seminary I knew that my turn was going to come to open with prayer and I was so scared. When it did come, I couldn’t say a word. I just stood there opening my mouth but nothing was coming out. Finally Brother Fisher reached out and touched me and said, “Just say amen,” and I did. I wasn’t able to stay in Seminary till school let out so Brother Fisher had me make up the lessons and send them to him. He then sent me my certificate and a very nice letter. I’ve never seen him since, but I’m still grateful for the time I had in his class and the things I learned there.

When we moved to the Webster place Dad gave Francis and I a couple colts. Francis whip broke his colt. He could call him out of the pasture and even if the colt was clear at the other end he would come to Francis when he called. He later became a very good work horse. His name was “Snip.”

On the Webster place a tree had been allowed to grow really close to the back porch. Its branches were beginning to life the shingles up off the roof. One day when the folks were gone, Francis and I sawed into the tree until it was bout ready to fall. Then I went and got a team to help get it the rest of the way so it wouldn’t fall on the on the house.

I hitched the chain way up in the tree and then to the back of the sleigh, as it was winter time. Then I got into sleigh to drive the team. This was Francis’ team and when I spoke to them instead of starting out slowly like my team, they jumped and lunged and I went so high in the air that I didn’t know when I was going to come down. When I did I lit on my head and I thought I had broken my neck.

Francis stood back and laughed till he couldn’t stand up. This made me so mad and I said, “Yea, you’d laugh even if it had killed me!” I suppose it did look funny to see the sleigh and me shoot up in the air that way, but I was hurting too bad for it to be funny. I hurt for several days, but was grateful that I hadn’t broken my neck.

In the spring of 1923 my cousin, Charles Galloway, came to our place and he and I went to Salt Lake City to work. We had very little money so we caught a ride on a freight train. I had never done it before and it was a dangerous thing to do. In fact it was a dare-devil thing to do. The train, after some trouble in Pocatello, Idaho took us almost to Hyrum, Utah. From there we took the Bamberger on into Salt Lake. The Bamberger was a big street car.

I worked for the Jacobsen Construction Company doing work on several different buildings, including some chapels and on the Salt Lake Temple grounds. It was a different kind of life for me, but I liked it.

One day I got a letter from Mother telling me they were moving to Montana and wanted me to go with them. So I quit my job and went back to Idaho. I have sometimes wondered what turn my life would have taken if I took a load of stock, machinery and furniture in a boxcar on the railroad. Dad and the other boys came up in a ford car and we got there ahead of them. In fact we unloaded the boxcar and moved everything out to the farm two miles east of Lohman, Montana, before they finally got there.

To be continued…


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s