#3 – August – 1957


Once again we extend to you a very hearty hello, with an apology for the tardiness of this issue. We feel somewhat discouraged with the lack of response with this issue in comparison to that of our previous editions. We hope it is just because the vacation season is here and not because we have lost your interest. We have waited two weeks past our publication date in hopes more family news, and contributions would be sent to us, but now we feel we have waited long enough, for this issue at least.

We do send out an urgent request for your continued interest and co-operate in this endeavor. We feel that much more can be accomplished if you will help us. We lack much information and many records, which we feel you may be able to help us with. We have stressed this point in every edition, so I will not dwell on it further, except to say, this is your bulletin and only you can make it a success because it is you who make the news and it is you who have information that would be an interest to the rest of us, so please help us.

It is written in the scriptures: “For this cause (the Gospel) I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, of whom the Whole family in Heaven and earth is name.” (Eph. 3:14-15)  So we see that there is a family organization in heaven, and part of it on earth, but in both places it is named after God the Father of Jesus Christ. And why not, since those in heaven and all on the earth who have made the covenant are his heirs?

The above paragraph was taken from “The Way To Perfection”, by Joseph Fielding Smith. It seems to fit so nicely with the cause and purpose of our own Rowley family organization, that it seemed only proper and fitting to print it.


We wish to express our gratitude to all those who participated in our annual family reunion at Fillmore, Utah this summer, to those who helped with the planning, and to all those who served on the various committees. We want to thank Vivian Wade especially for making the arrangements and doing so much to make the reunion a success. We all had a very enjoyable day; the tour, the recreational facilities, the food, were all fine.

The genealogy and historical committee are now fully organized and we would like to ask everyone to give the members of these committees any help they may need and request. Theirs is a particularly difficult task so let us all help lighten it when we can.

The next task for the presidency is the organization of the board of trustees. We hope everyone will cooperate to get those who are qualified to act on the board to do so. Let us make membership on the board of trustees constitute a position of honor and encourage those eligible to make themselves eligible, and available.

Reunion Report

(unreadable) at 10 A.M., a (unreadable) thirty  (unreadable) cars left Fillmore (unreadable) Vivian Wade of Fillmore, (unreadable) of the (unreadable) of interest in the History of the John Rowley and Sarah Wright Families. Vivian Wade is a vice-president of our organization.

In the company was George Rowley, and his sisters Urina Neilson and Emily Wade), all children of James Rowley and Mary Day. George is the oldest living member in the family. He very graciously told us the many stories and incidents about the places and family sites we visited.

Stopping at the old homesite of Ralph Nephi Rowley, we found none of the buildings left. It was pretty much of an open field with the exception of the trees which showed where the house had stood.

Going farther on, we were shown where the Jane Paul and Jane Smith homes had been situated. They were wives of John Thompson Rowley. As before the buildings were all gone. But there was an old house here built by one John Barkdull still standing as a marker and which was about twenty yards from the site of the Jane Paul Rowley home. Out in the field a short distance was the Jane Smith Rowley home-site, bit sites were marked by trees planted by those hearty pioneers, to bring comfort and beauty into their lives, though nothing of a material nature is left. This was where our forefathers toiled, suffered and fought to bring happiness into their lives and to bring their families up in the fear and admonition of the Lord. Gone with the passing of time are their earthly possessions, but the real wealth, their children have survived the perils that have confronted them. How well they have grown. The teachings of life, love, honesty, virtue and the setting of a worthy example, which had been a bulwark in the lives of their children.

Going on from here we came to Cove Fort. Here we saw the Fort built under the direction of Brigham Young, supervised by Ira N. Hinkley, and the head mason being Nicholas Paul, helped by his son, William Paul. Ralph Nephi Rowley, James Rowley and Hugh Thompson also assisted in its construction. Here again we find our worthy forbearers coming to the front in establishing communities and protection for the Saints who were coming to make their homes in the Rocky Mountains.

Cove Fort was built as a fortification against hostile Indians and the only one that remains in a perfect state of preservation today. Its purpose was to serve as a junction and overnight campsite for the freighters and stage-coach travel of the times as well as any other traffic.

Leaving Cove Fort, we traveled to Sulphurdale (so called because of the sulphur mine located there). The sulphur deposits were discovered by Ralph Nephi Rowley while looking for clay deposits to make pottery, as he was a potter by trade. Ralph Nephi hauled sulphur to Salt Lake for Brigham Young by team and wagon.

Returning to Fillmore, a lovely pot-luck dinner was served to over one hundred descendants of our common ancestor. A meeting was called to order, where the constitution and bylaws were passed on, and reports were given by various chairmen of the organization.

From here many returned to their homes feeling the day had been well spent in the renewing of friendships and acquaintances and the meetings of relatives they had never met before, and in relating incidents, history in the lives of many of us, and of interest to us all.

An executive meeting held with the presidency present, resulted in the appointing of two researchers with other committeemen to be appointed later. Also a new secretary was discussed as our past secretary is unable to carry on and has asked for her release.

While there many took advantage of visiting the State house, which was the first capital of Utah, but has since become a museum, operated by the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers. Also some school buildings which Ralph Nephi, James Rowley and Hugh Thompson along with many others helped to build. They also assisted with the State House.

Deciding to take advantage of every opportunity to become better acquainted with the historical spots in our family history, Vivian Wade and his wife acted as guide for the Arthur Jones family of Cedar City. Luella Downard of Price, Mary Ann R. Jones of Salt Lake City, David Wm. Rowley  family of Bountiful, Carol Lambertson of Aurora, Verda Murphy of Chinook, Montana, Eva and Arley Stoddard of Los Angeles, Cal. Went to the sites of the old grist mill and pottery plant, which was operated by James and Ralph Nephi Rowley. There is nothing left of them but the site where they had been, and where the course of the creek had been changed to give them the power needed to operate. Their old homes are still there in a good state of preservation, somewhat changed and altered, being lived in and kept up with fresh coats of paint.

From here we all went out to the craters, small and extinct, from which they are hauling cinders to make blocks for building purposes and for the roads throughout the area.

At this point we wish to express our thanks and gratitude to all those who made this excursion possible, and made us realize more fully the struggle and hardships our progenitors endured to make it possible for us to enjoy the blessings we have today.


Editorial Page 1
Message from Presidency Page 1
Reunion Report Page 1-2
Historians Report Page 2-3
History Page 3-5
Research Staff Page 5
Organization Officers Page 5-6
Family News Page 7
Last Minute Flashes Page 8

“Did that home remedy I gave you for our sick dog straighten him out?”

“It sure did; we buried him yesterday.”


I wish to thank the following people who have helped me in gathering this history:

My mother, Mary Ann Rowley Jones, who gave $20 to help finance a trip and three days research to Fillmore and Meadow and a trip and six days research to Salt Lake City. She also accompanied me on these excursions and rendered a great deal of help to the cause.

Otto C. Lambertson and wife Lillan Day Lambertson and son Arthur Delane Lambertson took us from Aurora to Meadow to the home of Fern Day Steward and to Lenna Rowley Bushnell.

We stayed with Lenna Rowley Bushnell who was so very kind to us. Who drove us to many places of interest in Meadow and Fillmore—making three trips to Fillmore for us.

Fern Day Steward accompanied us to Fillmore, assisting us in the interviewing of the following children of James Rowley, whom I also wish to thank Urina Rowley Neilson, George Rowley, and Emily Rowley Wade.

Vivian Wade kindly took us from place to place in Fillmore.

In Salt Lake City, Mrs. William Rowley (Olive) Jones went with me and was a great help to me in copying so many things.

David Wm. Rowley took me out to Aunt Lucy’s (wife of John Thompson Rowley Jr.), where we interviewed her and received a great deal of help.

Luke Day loaned me two histories written by Uncle George Arthur Rowley that have added so very much interest to our story.


If you know any early Rowley histories or if you know anyone who does, please let me know.

Let us honor these worthy Pioneers by gathering and printing in this paper EVERY story that ANY of us can find to tell about them. 

We are going to write of James Rowley next…Will all you descendants of James Rowley please help us by sending all that you can learn of him?

RALPH NEPHI ROWLEY, Second Installment

Since the printing of the last installment of the history a great deal more research has been done and many more interesting facts have been gleaned. For this reason we will go back in our history to the time of their boarding the “Kennebec.”

They came with the first Company of the “Perpetual Emigration Fund.” They boarded ship the day before sailing with their own bedding, enough food for the crossing and their own cooking utensils.

They sailed with their three sons, John Thompson, who was five years old, Hugh, who was three and baby Ephraim, just four months old. Ralph Nephi was twenty seven and his wife, Mary Ann, twenty six.

The “Kennebec” was a new and commodious ship of 1,070 tons. She sailed out of Bromley, Moore Doc, Liverpool, England the 10th of January 1852. There were 333 persons on board under the direction of John B. Higbee, who had labored as a missionary to England from 1849 until the sailing.

Included among the Saints who sailed on the “Kennebec” were sixty passengers, who were assisted by the Perpetual Emigration Fund. 

Among the Saints were many craftsmen. They were going to Zion, their hearts filled to overflowing with the Joy the Gospel brings and in addition they were leaving a land of poverty and unemployment with hopes of being a real help to their fellow Saints in a land where they could thrive, own houses and land as well as live the Gospel without persecution. A land choice above all other lands!

Besides the Saints there were a number of Irish emigrants on board, who were not of their faith, they were not supplied sufficient provisions to last them until the end of the voyage; but in order to lay in a sufficient supply, they stole all they possibly could from the Latter-Day Saints, who consequently had to go short themselves, and were compelled to subsist on half rations the last four or five days before landing. These Irish emigrants were taken on board because there were not enough Saints to fill the ship. Peace and harmony prevailed among the latter as a rule; also good health; the provisions and water were good and wholesome and included oatmeal and pork, but as the English did not like oatmeal and the Scots could not relish pork, they exchanged these articles of food with each other, to the great satisfaction of both parties. As Mary Ann was Scottish and Ralph Nephi was English, I wonder how their preferences were.

On board ship the Saints were isolated from the rest of the passengers and did very little associating with them. Their days were planned by wise leaders and there was a time for study and religious meetings as well as instruction in the things they would need to know when they crossed the plains. In general, the Saints were fed and cared for better than the rest of the passengers.

The voyage throughout was a safe and pleasant one with the exception of one terrific hurricane, which swept the deck clean of cook houses, water barrels and everything else that could be washed overboard. During this terrible storm Mary Ann sat on the floor of the lower deck gathering her three children close around her, she put her arms around them and shut her eyes and prayed, fearing that they might go down any time. There were dozens of women and children around her, some of them crying and praying. Ralph Nephi with the rest of the men, was on deck helping the sailors. There were over three hundred people on board of different nationalities and beliefs. It was a great experience to see how differently each was taking this terrifying experience. After a while the storm let up and the sea quieted.

They arrived in New Orleans on March 11, 1852. They had emigrated in their native Scottish costume and as they waited to board the other boat many remarks were made by the bystanders, of the beautiful child John and of what a striking picture he made with his long blonde ringlets and dressed as he was in kilts.

Some of the Saints from the “Kennebec” continued the journey on board a small boat called “The Pride of the West” and arrived at St. Louis, Missouri, about the end of March. Some of the Saints remained temporarily in St. Louis. Some of the Saints took passage from here to Kansas City on the ill-fated “Saluda”, which was chartered by Eli B. Kelsey. The “Saluda” blew up killing many of the Saints who were on board. Other Saints took passage on a small river steamer, “The Isabel”, (I think the Rowley’s were on this boat, although, Uncle George Arthur Rowley, remembered it as the “St. Angie”, I could find no record of the “St. Angie” but the “Isabel” fills his description). The “Isabel” and the “Saluda” passed each other many times on their trip up the river. The “Isabel” came up the river three hours after the disaster (April 9, 1852) and picked up many of the surviving passengers of the terrible tragedy. Among those killed were Helen Dunbar, wife of Wm. C. Dunbar, and their two children, Euphemia, age six years and Franklin Lorenzo, age one year. They were from Scotland. Mary Ann’s mother, Mary Ann O’Brian, had first been married to Alexander Dunbar and after his death she married Mary Ann’s father, Hugh Thompson. Could these Dunbar’s have been relatives of Mary Ann’s? just how much this tragedy touched the lives of Mary Ann and Ralph Nephi we have been unable to ascertain. They arrived in Kansas City three days after leaving St. Louis. 

From Kansas City they went to Kanesville, Iowa, the outfitting station for their journey across the plains. There was a long delay here until more wagons could be secured. 

They left Council Bluffs, Iowa, June 1, 1852, in the Abraham O. Smoot Company, with Christopher Layton as assistant Captain. There were 250 people in this company with thirty one wagons. This was the first company of European Saints to cross the plains under the direction of the Perpetual Emigration Fund. The company was well organized with men assigned to all the different tasks, Joseph Davis Matthews was one of the hunters chosen to furnish the Saints with fresh meat.

Of their journey across the plains, Uncle George Arthur Rowley tells the following:

“Mary Ann walked most of the way across the plains and drove a two yoke team of oxen, three steers and a cow.”

While crossing the plains a Mrs. Brockbank was lost and never found. No one ever knew whether she perished or fell into the hands of Indians. Mrs. Brockbank had a baby girl, Agnes; Mary Ann had a nursing baby Ephraim George, so she nursed and cared for both babies throughout the journey. Mrs. Brockbank left three other children besides baby Agnes. Two of these Uncle George Arthur Rowley knew in later life; Isaac Brockbank of Salt Lake City and Elizabeth Bushnell of Meadow, Millard, Utah.

George Arthur Rowley continues: “I will call some of the families who came across the plains in the same company, John Cooper, family of Fillmore, the Charlesworth family of Meadow and the Brockbank family of Salt Lake City, Utah.

They arrived in Salt Lake City Sept. 3, 1852. The company was met by the First Presidency with William Pitts’ band and many other leading citizens. This company brought the remains of Elder Lorenzo D. Barnes and William Burton, who died while on missions to Great Britain.

It is not known where they stayed or what their circumstances were when they got to Salt Lake City. We know only that they were in Salt Lake City one month to the day when they lost baby Ephraim George. He had been born 16 August 1851 in Glasgow, Scotland, while they were preparing to migrate to Zion. He had lived through the happy time of preparation. Lived with them the experiences of crossing the great waters and shared his mother’s love and sustenance with the little orphan girl, Agnes. He had suffered many hardships crossing the plains. He lived to be buried among the Saints who had made the supreme sacrifice—in this OUR BELOVED ZION!!

Ralph and Mary Ann were called to Fillmore where he helped to build the State house, for he was a very good rock mason, having learned the trade when building kilns to bake his pottery in. in all things of this nature Ralph Nephi was well trained.

In October of 1852 many families arrived from Salt Lake in Fillmore. It is my opinion that it was at this time that the Ralph Nephi Rowley family went there.

If they lived with the rest of the State House workers, they lived in a tent or shanty that first winter; right on the State House grounds or on what was at the time called the Public Square.

Because of Indian trouble all the men had to be ready to take up their guns and defend the settlement. Whenever there was an Indian scare, Ralph Nephi was ready with the others under Captain Henry Standish to defend the settlement.

These kind-hearted people, unused to these harsh pioneer conditions, where they must be always on the alert for a skirmish that could well be a life and death affair, were further concerned and shocked when one of their close associates, Charles Robinson was stabbed and nearly killed by an Indian, who tried to break through the window of his sister’s cabin.

Ralph became personally acquainted with Chief Kanosh at this time; a friendship that endured on down through the years through the many circumstances that brought them together. They had come at a time when the Indian affairs had flared into the most serious trouble all over the state, at the very beginning of the Walker and Black Hawk wars. They lived in the very country that the Red man claimed for their own for this was the vicinity of the home of the Indians. The Rowley’s stayed and lived through all of the Indian troubles and wars.

Ralph and his family were so closely associated with the Indians that they all learned to speak the language and could converse with them fluently. The Piute Indians, better known as the Kanosh Indians were not bad Indians. They were peace loving. It was Indians from other parts who would come to Millard County and do their wicked work. Ralph Nephi and his son John Thompson who at the time was a small boy would take their turn carrying the gun, joining scout parties, hunting horses and cattle after the Indian had stolen them and driven them away. 

Hugh Thompson, Mary Ann’s father, sailed from Liverpool, England, 28 February 1853 and arrived in New Orleans, 23 April 1853. Not long after this they were able to welcome this most wonderful old man, who was so loved by everyone that babies are still being named in his honor. What a reunion it must have been! The tales they had to tell each other. All but three people had been baptized on the ship he came over on. Even the Captain had been baptized, 48 people had been baptized as they crossed the ocean. When he arrived in Fillmore he had a heavy oak chest and in one drawer of that chest was $10,000 all in English Gold Sovereigns, one English sovereigns is equal to a $5.00 gold piece in the United States money. The story goes that he later consecrated this entire amount to the Church.

The teacher was giving a test in health class. One question was this: “How should you retain your posture?” The country boy chewed his pencil hesitantly and then wrote, “Keep the cows out and let it grow a while.”


Chairman of staff: Angie Warner
                              1733 So. 8th East, Orem, Utah

Vivian Wade, Fillmore — James, Ralph (Ralph Nephi Rowley) and Mary Day Rowley Family.

John Van Rowley, 2656 Chadwich St., Salt Lake City — James Rowley and Martha Day Family.

George Albert Rowley, Helper, Utah — John Thompson Rowley and Jane Smith Family

Verda Rowley Murphy, Chinook, Montana — John Thompson Rowley and Jane Smith Family 

Research cont.

Luke Day, 973 so. 5 East, Springville, Utah — Arthur Day and Elizabeth Rowley family.

Rebecca Scott, 2407 So. 6 Ave., Arcadia, California — Curtis Galloway & Harriett Ann Rowley family.

Buella Rowley, Deseret, Utah — Walter Rowley & Lena Peterson family.

Chester Lyman, Duchesne, Utah — Ira Lyman & Elizabeth Rowley family.

Clara O’Toole, 1467 McArthur Blvd., Oakland, 2, California — Moroni Rowley & Mary Maxfield family.

Hughetta Howarth, 2015 Windsor, Salt Lake City, Utah — George A. Rowley & Stena Hansen family.

Estella Shail, 70 College Ave., Rexburg, Idaho — Mariah Rowley Hallans family.

Please get in touch with your researcher on any works to be done in your branch of the family. They are here to perfect our records, and need your help in any and every way possible.

President: David W. Rowley
898 North 4th East
Bountiful, Utah

1st Vice President: Luke Day
973 South 5th East
Springville, Utah

2nd Vice President: William R. Jones
10 West 2nd North
Salt Lake City, Utah

3rd Vice President: Vivian Wade
Fillmore, Utah

Secretary: Max Phil Lambertson
164 Lucy Avenue
Salt Lake City, Utah

Note this change in our Presidency: Mrs. Vernell Humphries of Salt Lake City, who has been our secretary since the family was organized, has asked for her release because of the heavy amount of other work she has to do. We wish to thank Vernell and her family for the splendid work they have done, and in the many ways they have helped the organization to function. We wish them the best of luck, and may the Lord’s choicest blessings be with them always.


Mr. & Mrs. Lorin Wilcox
Helena, California

Rebecca Galloway Scott
Arcadia, California

The following have made contributions to the family organization in the amount of $2.00 or more:

Luke Day, Springville, Utah
Mrs. John O’Tolle, Oakland 2, California
Freeman Rowley, Fillmore, Utah
Bernetta Muir, Fillmore, Utah
Chester R. Lyman, Duchesne, Uath
Vivian Wade, Fillmore, Utah
Ray Rowley, Fillmore, Utah
Jennie Davis, Provo, Utah
Verda Day Hotchkiss, Arizona
George Rowley, Fillmore, Utah
Loren Rowley, Deseret, Utah
Verda Murphy, Chinook, Montana
Tom Nielson, Fillmore, Utah
John Van Rowley, Salt Lake City, Utah
Melvin Rowley, Fillmore, Utah
Miss Eva Hill, Idaho Falls, Idaho
Walter Rowley, Eureka, California
Emily R. Wade, Fillmore, Utah
Elma Wade, Fillmore, Utah
Eva Warner, Fillmore, Utah
Lorenzo Day Rowley, Arizona
Arthur Rowley Jones, Cedar City, Utah

These contributions have been made since the last edition of the bulletin. We acknowledge their remittance and heartily thank them for it. The dues for the Family Organization are $2.00 per year per family. It is requested that all contributions, subscriptions or money of any kind be sent to our new secretary, Max Lambertson, whose address is above.

It is requested that all news items be mailed to Mrs. Marjorie Judkins, 1684 South ???? Street Orem, Utah. Our deadline date is October 10th, please respond!!

It has become necessary to raise the subscription rate on our paper. This was discussed and voted upon at the last reunion. Since the old rate would not cover all expenses, the new rate will necessity be $2.00 per year. ?? Please send all subscriptions to our new secretary, Max Lambertson, 164 Lucy Avenue, Salt Lake City, Utah.

All members, upon payment of dues, must fill out a family group record sheet of their family as part of the requirements for membership. It will help us to identify and to make a more perfect family organization record.



Luella Downard, 352 East 2nd South
Price, Utah

Mrs. Clarence (Madeline) Wade,
Fillmore, Utah

Mrs. Olive Jones, 10 West 2nd North
Salt Lake City, Utah

Clara O’Toole, 1467 McArthur Boulevard
Oakland 2, California

Luke Day, 973 South 5th East
Springville, Utah

Lena Bushnell, Fillmore, Utah

Please get in touch with some of the staff whenever you have information –biographies, sketches, etc., – that will help complete our family histories.



Born to Mr. and Mrs. Gerald V. Johnson in Luverne, North Dakota, a daughter Christine Margaret Johnson, born February 24, 1957, great, great granddaughter of Moroni Thompson Rowley, great, great granddaughter of Clara Rowley O’Toole.


Mr. & Mrs. Don (LaRue) Langton announce the birth of a fine baby girl. LaRue is the daughter of Edwin Rowley and a granddaughter of Lucy Golding Rowley and John T. Rowley, Jr.

Raymond and Marilyn Jaeger announced the birth of a fine baby boy which they had named Raymond Scott Jaeger. Marilyn is the daughter of Loren Rowley a descendent of John Thompson Rowley and Jane Paul. 

Mr. and Mrs. Shelby Taylor announce the birth of a baby boy. The mother, Maurine, is the daughter of Howard Rowley, a descendant of John T. Rowley through John T. Rowley, Jr., and Lucy Golding.

Kay Greene Rowley, wife of Lawrence Rowley, recently returned from Alaska to her home in Montana, awaiting the arrival of a baby. Lawrence is expected to rejoin his wife upon his release from the armed forces, around December. Lawrence is the son of Francis Rowley, a descendant of John T. Rowley, through Hugh Thompson Rowley and Grace Davis.

Francis Rowley has moved from Great Falls, Montana, to Kalispell, where he is running the Shasta Motel. His son Miland and wife, Willie, are living with them at the present time.

Wanda Rowley became Mrs. Mae Pearson in the Salt Lake Temple on Monday June 24, 1957. The rites were performed by Brother Hawks and were very impressive. Wanda is a daughter of Walter I. Rowley and Lois Chapman.

Ralph Rowley claimed Miss Aleene Sumsion as his bride in the Salt Lake Temple on August 21, 1957. Ralph is the son of David Wm. Rowley and Lillian Alcorn Rowley.

Clark Harris Day and Darlene Huff Day are the proud parents of a baby girl, born August 10, at the Utah Valley Hospital in Provo, Utah. The baby will be named Valynn. Clarke recently graduated from B.Y.U. majoring in Mathematics, and minoring in Chemistry. Clark is a son of Luke Day, descendant of John T. Rowley and Jane Paul.

Jerry and Mary Lambertson Bradley are happy to announce the arrival of a baby girl born August 4, 1957 weighing 6 lbs. 15 oz. She will be known as Joni. Mary is the daughter of Otto Lambertson and Lillian Day Lambertson, descendants of John T. Rowley and Jane Paul.

Bob and Grace Lambertson are visiting in Aurora with his parents and are planning to leave about August 26. They are from California.

Mr. & Mrs. Otto Lambertson (Lillian Day) are proud grandparents again. Their son Arthur (Arthur Delane Lambertson) and Iris Ireta Lyman Lambertson, greeted a baby daughter Sept. 8, 1957. They named her Dee Ann Lambertson. This makes them three children, two boys and one girl. They are descendants of John T. Rowley and Jane Paul.

Luke and Marjorie Day (Marjorie Ethel Smith) and Basil and Eldra Day Moulton have just returned from an enjoyable trip to Denver, Colo. where they visited with a brother to Luke and Eldra, Arthur Nicholas Day and wife May Crawford Day. The Moulton’s also enjoyed a trip to Yellowstone Park with their son and family, A. La Vere and Eiko Moulton. Eldra and Luke are children of Elizabeth Jane Rowley Day.

Broze E. and Beth Johnson Hutchinson are now settled in the lovely new home they built in north Provo. Beth is a daughter of Verda Day Johnson and a granddaughter of Elizabeth Jane Rowley Day. 

Angus and Fern Day Stewart are home after enjoying a trip to Denver to see Fern’s brother and wife, Arthur Nicholas and May Crawford Day. Fern is a daughter of Elizabeth Jane Day Rowley.

Report sent in by Myrtle Dearden Jennings

Dearden Alma Jennings is in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil, on a mission from Ogden 18th Ward, Weber Stake. He writes he is enjoying his labors very much.

Melvin Warner and family have moved to 10066 Vena Street, Pacoma, Cal., from Deseret, Utah. He will work with General Motors Co. there in California. 

Mr. and Mrs. Lloyd Warner of Deseret had a new son bless their home in the spring. This makes three children for them.

Mr. and Mrs. Arlin J. Barnes and family made a trip to California to visit Mrs. Barbara J. Barnes cousin and family Mr. and Mrs. Garth (Naoma Warner) Braithwaite.

Mr. & Mrs. Claude (Angie) Warner have had their grandchildren visiting them in Orem, Utah where they have recently moved to with son Howard, from Delta, Utah.

Mr. & Mrs. Cecil Warner moved to Pacoma Cal. visiting with their son Melvin, and his family. They also have another son, Jay living in Salt Lake City.

Mr. & Mrs. Vivian Dearden have been in Salt Lake where Mrs. Dearden has been in the hospital under observation for ten days. She is now out and about again.

Mr. & Mrs. Lee Dearden made a rush trip to Salt Lake last weekend from Garrison, where the three Dearden brothers and their families live. 

These are the living children of Thomas and Elizabeth Rowley Dearden: Thomas James, Myrtle D. Jennings, Fern D. Warner, Henry Vivian, Lee Dearden and Angie D. Warner.


Lehi Galloway, son of the late Harriet Ann Rowley and Curtis Galloway of Shelley, Idaho passed away of a heart ailment Sept. 4, 1957  while on the job at Brigham City. He was employed with Waterfall Construction Company at the time.

There was a meeting of relatives and friends at the Colonial Mortuary, 2128 South State Street, Salt Lake City, Utah the Sunday evening following where many met and renewed acquaintances and expressed their condolence to the bereaved family.

The funeral took place Monday morning at 10:00 o’clock and the body was taken to Shelly, Idaho where it was interred with a short graveside ceremony. Some of the people went on to Shelley and attended the burial. 


Do you know the thrill of hearing from a long-lost friend or loved one – of hearing of his or her trials and triumphs? Have you ever had the feeling that perhaps you may be able to lend a helping hand in bringing great joy to one who has been deprived of such a blessing and in knowing that you may be instrumental in doing something for one who cannot do it for himself. Or, do you know the sheer joy of becoming, as the Savior Said, “Savior’s on Mount Zion?” If you haven’t, then you do not know the satisfaction and joy that comes from doing research.

We have finally got our research started in England. We have made contact with about 15 of our relatives and are corresponding with them. They seem anxious to help but cannot do it entirely without monetary help from us. These people, many of them are up in years, have a very small income and are unable to do it on their own and we need the help they can give us, while they are still living. Since I have contacted them. One man, about 70, has passed away and one granddaughter of Mary Rowley Holt, daughter of John and Sarah Wright Rowley, nearing her 88th birthday, is in the hospital and may go any time. 

I have also made contact with some of the relatives, I think, of John Rowley, brother of Ralph Nephi, who lives here in Ohio, and who wrote me, through the ones in England, and they seem willing to cooperate. 

Surely the Spirit of Elijah is with these people – our own kin with whom we’ve had no contact through the years. These are the ones who can help us cement the link in our family chain, that we may be all accounted for and worthy to go on to salvation in our Heavenly Father’s kingdom; Yes, these are the ones, without whom we cannot be saved, nor can they be saved without us.

It is up to us, their descendants, to see that this work is done and what is a few dollars compared with the joy we will have in the hereafter with these loved ones. Let’s help out this worthy cause. Let’s add to our research fund. We should forego some of our many pleasures and receive eternal blessings by contributing to this worthy fund. We’ll never miss it and we will surely be blessed for doing so.

Ancestral Representative,
Verda Murphy (Verda May Rowley)

Letters are coming almost daily from England. For the very latest information, be sure and be at the reunion august 8th at Provo, Utah. Northside Park at 10:00a.m.