#4 – December – 1957


Born: 1 Apr 1823 Hanley, Staffordshire, England
Married: Mary Ann Thompson 30 October 1843
                Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland
Died: 7 June 1901 Fillmore, Millard Co., Utah

Born: 14 July 1824 Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland
Died: 14 June 1886 Fillmore, Millard Co., Utah


Born: 18 Jan 1845 Glasgow, Lanarkshire., Scotland
Died: 13 Oct 1845 Glasgow, Lanarkshire., Scotland

Born: 7 Nov 1847 Glasgow, Lanarkshire., Scotland
Married: Jane Paul 22 May 1868 Endowment House, Salt Lake City, Utah
Married: Mary Jane Smith 23 June 1880 St. George Temple
Died: 31 Jan 1925 Spring Glen, Carbon Co., Utah

Born: 23 Feb 1849 Glasgow, Lanarkshire., Scotland
Died: 3 Oct 1883 Meadow, Millard Co., Utah.

Born: 16 Aug 1851 Glasgow, Lanarkshire., Scotland
Died: 3 Oct 1852 Fillmore, Millard Co., Utah

Born: 26 Sept 1853 Meadow, Millard Co., Utah
Married: Lena Peterson 1881
Died: 21 Oct 1925 Fillmore, Millard Co., Utah

Born: 11 Nov 1856 Fillmore, Millard Co., Utah
Died: 1859 Fillmore, Millard Co., Utah

Born: 4 Apr 1858 Meadow, Millard Co., Utah
Married: Ira Depo Lyman 1 Jan 1878
Died: 4 Apr 1943

Born: 24 July 1860 Meadow, Millard Co., Utah
Married: Hannah Sorenson
Married: Mary Maxfield 16 Feb 1886
Died: 2 April 1919

Born: 11 Dec 1864 Meadow, Millard Co., Utah
Married: Stena Hanson 10 Oct 1888
Died: 21 Sept 1951 Salt Lake City, Utah


Hello! We hope you were among those who escaped the Asian Flu.

Although we are late again, we hear what we hope to be good news. Mrs. Lillian Rowley – wife of organization President, David Wm. Rowley went to the L.D.S Church Historian’s  office and recorded the preceding issues on the Bulletin. At the Historian’s office there were two copies of each issue from now on. Copied for permanent files and one for research and interested persons to refer to for information.

This is a grand opportunity for us to leave the records and information we so desire for our descendants on permanent file. So everyone please respond to this opportunity and send your information in to us for publication each quarter.

We know it is of extreme importance for us to do genealogy and research work. Keeping records and data will be invaluable to those who follow after us, and will acquaint our children with the experiences and histories of our ancestors and forefathers. To do this takes intent and sincere efforts on the part of every one to gather and preserve the facts into permanent records. Regardless of the wonderful events and experiences we have, they remain only experiences until they are written. When they become history and records for our descendants to enjoy.

With the advent of the holiday season we hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving and wish you a very merry Christmas and a wonderful and prosperous New Year.

The Editors

P.S. At this time we would like to report the change of address of the Editor, Marjorie R. Judkins. Her new address is 1838 South 350 East, Orem, Utah.


Our organization is still a comparatively young one, subject to criticism from some encouragement from others, but we hope it means interest and unity from most of our fellow members.

We need help from all of you to make our organization and also our paper a success. News items help the genealogy and the history department and every branch of the organization is bound to benefit. What is news to one may mean history in another sense to someone else.

So send in your news items no matter how small or insignificant they may seem. Someday we may all be able to look back into the files of the John Rowley and Sarah Wright Rowley Organization papers and find many things of value.

Each reporter sending in news should put the name of the family head over his news items. If the family head or reporter is not known, the one sending in the news should identify himself and the information will be sent back to him.

New items to report consist of identification, dates, etc.:

1: Vacations 10: Deaths
2: Marriages 11: Bible Records
3: Births 12: Photos
4: Baptisms 13: Old news clippings
5: Priesthood Ordinations  14: Biographies
6: Graduations 15: Diaries
7: Changes of Address 16: Family Records
8: Sickness 17: Family Histories
9: Misfortunes 18: Old Letters

Reporters of each family are asked to send in their news and if there are none, to report so. We humbly solicit the cooperation of each and every member of the organization to help us carry on this important task we have undertaken and ask the blessings of our Heavenly Father on all of you. 

Luke Day
1st Vice President

-by historian, Luella Jones Downard

In the spring of 1853 each man was given as much land as he could fence and cultivate. Ralph Nephi Rowley and his father-in-law, Hugh Thompson, each had land allotted to them along the hills east of Fillmore, known as the “Best Ditch” farms.

Some of their close neighbors here were Jonathan P. Smith and Albert Shail. Jonathan P. Smith had come over the plains in the same company as Hugh Thompson. Ralph’s sister Mariah, who had buried her first husband, George Olom, and little son, Uriah Olom, in England and later migrated to Fillmore with her daughter, Zuriah Olom, and married Jonathan P. Smith.

Zuriah Olom later married George Albert Shails. 

Another of their close neighbors was Amasa Lyman, (whose son, Lorenzo Snow Lyman married Zuriah Rowley, the oldest daughter of Ralph’s brother, James Rowley).  Years later Amasa Lyman’s son Ira Depo Lyman, married Ralph’s daughter, Elizabeth Ann.

Another neighbor was Richard Day, whose daughters Mary and Martha, became the wives of Ralph’s brother James. Years later when James died, Ralph married his brothers wife, Mary Day Rowley, in polygamy.

We have several records of Ralph and Mary receiving their endowments and also of Ralph attending for James with Mary Day and that they were sealed.

In July of 1853 there were a great many Indian scares and depredation. The fort was guarded night and day by both close and picket guards. Men went to the fields in large companies, carrying their guns with them for protection at all times. Chief Kanosh and his friendly Indians helped harvest the grain.

Conditions became so bad that the State House workers took down their shanties and moved them into the Fort, where they would be safer from Indian attacks.

George Arthur Rowley in one of his histories relates: “Here they built a dugout in which to live, there is a monument on the place now.” Mary Ann’s father Hugh Thompson probably lived with them and the children in this humble home.

In August 1853 marital law was declared. A triangle of steel was made to use in sounding an alarm to call the men and boys from the field when there was an alarm. The mulch cows were herded together and guards placed around them. At night they were all taken to a public corral and milked while the men took turns standing guard.

On September 13, 1853, a man, William Hatton, was killed by the Indians while standing guard at this corral.

Ralph and his father-in-law were both fine stone masons, and they helped to cut and lay rock for early state structures.

On October 26, 1853 a baby boy was born to the Rowley’s, while they were living inside the fort wall. They named him Walter Thompson Rowley. When Thompson is added to the name of a Rowley child it is to honor the beloved grandfather, Hugh Thompson. He had had no male child to carry on the name of Thompson. This may account for one reason for honoring the name but I like the reason George Arthur Rowley gives in one of his histories: “I love the name of HUGH and I named one daughter Hughetta, because I love it so. The stories I have been told of him make me very proud of his name and memory.” What a pity that none of those stories were ever written. Now we know only that his character was such that “HUGH THOMPSON” is a name of honor among the descendants of Ralph Nephi Rowley and Mary Ann Thompson.

This little bank of pioneers harvested their first crop of grain by cradle and gathered the stocks by hand, making them into bundles. They then laid the bundles on large pieces of canvas and led the horses over the bundles to thrash the wheat out. With the help of the wind they separated the wheat from the shaft. When it was washed and dried it was ready to be ground into flour. As there was not a flour mill within a hundred miles, they then ground the wheat into flour in coffee grinders. This was a hard tedious task and even little John and Hugh took turns at turning the grinder. They learned to make corn into hominy. This constituted the main items of their diet that winter.

In the spring of 1854 the workshops were moved back onto the grounds of the State House, where work was resumed. By December 1, 1854, all the walls and masonry work was done on the State House.

George Arthur Rowley tells us in one of his histories: “During the summer of 1854 Rlaph Nephi Rowley discovered the sulphur beds which are located about seven miles south and east of Cove Fort in south Millard County. He hauled sulphur in the raw state and sold it to Brigham Young in Salt Lake City. He made many trips into Salt Lake with the sulphur, and on one occasion, Brigham Young paid him a yoke of oxen and wagon for his sulpher. In later years a company with money developed the sulphur beds and put in a refinery. They now sell sulphur all over the world.” 

“My Father. Ralph Nephi Rowley, had a pottery in Fillmore from 1854 until early 1880. Ralph was a master potter, he was also skilled in building pottery kilns. He had learned to make pottery kilns as a boy in England,“

“He built a fine pottery just east of the bridge over Chalk Creek. In the early stages he prospected for clay and other material. He discovered volcanic glass, which is the mother of the stone, and the pumy stone deposits. He assisted in getting them developed. They were located near the Twin Peaks east of the bed of the Beaver River, which used to flow Sevier Lake, which is south of Deseret.  The Twin Peaks are in South Central Millard County, near the Black Rock Springs on the Union Pacific Railroad. The Beaver River now flows into a reservoir, therefore it does not run as far north as it did then.

“He needed Plaster of Paris to make molds for his pottery wares. Plaster of Paris, when hardened and dry, will absorb water. It makes the best kind of molds, so he had to have it. He found mountains of gypsum in the Levan and Nephi districts. Gypsum is pounded or ground fine like flour and placed in an iron kettle and boiled dry. When worked just right you can mix it with water and make a paste and let it set for a few minutes and it becomes hard. Plaster of Paris is gypsum in the finished product and gypsum is used in making cement. There is now a big plaster works in the Levan Hills and in the Salt Creek Canyon above Nephi. A John Rowley, who lived in Nephi, started a plaster mill and ran it for a long time. He also (Ralph) found feldspar in good quantities.”

Ralph Nephi Rowley was a very brave man to do so much prospecting into country held by the Indians and so far away from the protection of the settlements. He played a very important part in the building up of this country and in developing many of its industries. He was a tried and true friend to the great Chief Kanosh; perhaps this is one of the reasons he was able to go into these far places in search of the deposits of minerals etc. that he needed in his pottery making. Perhaps it was his great faith, for at all times he was a man of exceeding great faith in the protection that he would receive from the All Mighty.

In 1855 the people of the Fillmore were called upon to practice the United Order, by assigning all their earth;y possessions over to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Like Nephi (whose name he had added to his own), he knew that God does not ask a thing of us without providing a way that His commandment might be kept. Ralph humbly and uncomplainingly followed the advise of the Church Presidency to the letter and he signed a paper like the following:

“Be it known by those present that I, Ralph Nephi Rowley, of Fillmore City in the County of Millard and the Territory of Utah, for, and in consideration of the good will which I have for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, give and convey unto Brigham Young, trustee in trust for the said church, his successor in office, and assigns, all my claims and ownership to the following described property, to wit; (Then followed the description of his farm lands and his pottery and whatever lands he had acquired at that time with all livestock he owned, he assigned every single thing he possessed). Together with all rights, privileges and appurtenances there unto, belonging or appertaining. I also covenant and agree that I am the lawful claimant and owner of said property, and will warrant and forever defend the same unto the said trustee in trust, his successor in office, and assigns, against the claims of my hair, assigns or any person whomsoever.

(signed) Ralph Nephi Rowley”

Thus Ralph again stood the test – that he would do all that was asked of him fully and faithfully. What a test, to sign away all that he had or ever hoped to have and to agree to leave all that he had to the Church and not to his ancestors to leave something to their children. We know that he did it gladly and yet what a test it was! Hugh Thompson, Mary Ann’s father, also turned over all that he possessed also, including the 10,000 gold sovereigns that he had brought in the drawer of the heavy oak chest. Converted into United States money, this would have all belonged to Mary Ann and the children at his death, for they were his only heirs. Think of the schooling and prestige, the lands and possessions this would have bought for their descendants. This was gladly given for they knew that the Gospel was true and that they must stand every test! Oh that we, the descendants of these most worthy ancestors could all inherit the TESTIMONY that they had, that this great thing that they did would not have been done in vain. This lesson they gave us that to obey all of God’s commandments and to do, gladly, all that is asked of us, to remain faithful to the end, is a greater inheritance that $50,000.00 or all the riches of the earth! There were others who gave all they had at that time but in my opinion Ralph, Mary and Hugh were put to a greater test for everything was put in a common storehouse and each family got supplies etc. as it was needed. Therefore those who had little would share alike with those who had a greater amount. It was easy for those who had little. The work was divided among all Saints both men and women, thus keeping everyone employed and on the same economic level, which did away with poverty, as well as preventing the accumulation of great wealth, a socialistic form of religion. 

The grasshopper made their first appearance and they came in hordes. Ralph and his family watched as they ate nearly all of the crops in spite of anything they could do to stop them.

The grasshoppers came again in 1856 but not in such numbers as they had in 1855 and they were able to control them better so that more of their crops were saved.

Another male child was born to Ralph and Mary Ann, on November 11, 1856. They named him Ralph Nephi Rowley after his father.

Most of the pottery Ralph made at first and a great deal of it at all times, he turned over to Brigham Young or the Church, I suppose it was distributed as seemed best by Brigham Young. There is no record of what Ralph received in payment but it is my opinion that he considered it as a part of the labor he owed in living the United Order.

Ralph’s brother James Rowley left England and arrived in Salt Lake City sometime between December 1 and 15, 1856, in the William Hidgett’s Ox Train Company, which arrived in Salt Lake City in sections – (Journalistic History, December 15, 1856, page3). He came to Fillmore soon after this, where the brothers had a happy reunion. They were closely associated from that time on until James’ early death in 1881. (We have not at this time been able to learn if James came alone, but it is my opinion that he did – the record of his arrival can be found in the archives of the Church Historians office in the Presiding Bishop’s office in Salt Lake City). Ralph must have taken him into the pottery business upon his arrival, for he was also skilled in all things pertaining to the making of pottery, having been taught the trade by his father (John Rowley) from the time he was a small lad in England. There are also many stories told of them making the pottery together. James may have made the trip from Salt Lake City to Fillmore by handcart; his son, George Rowley of Fillmore (1957), says he thinks he was told as a child that he did. 

In the spring of 1857 Ralph and Mary Ann, with their four children, John, Hugh, Walter and Ralph, Jr. went to make a new home in the wilderness south of them, Meadow. Three other families going with them, the Tompkinson’s, (Mrs. Thompkinson was a Rowley, Ralph’s cousin), the Tyler’s and John a. The James Duncan family had gone before them. They all located on the ridge about a mile west of the present townsite of Meadow. The “Ridge” was a gravely elevation resembling a railroad track grade which extended for miles north and south of where they had settled. The vegetation was mostly sagebrush and meadow grass with cedar trees on the foothills. A few wild berries and some wild rabbits and deer.

Ralph and Mary Ann soon made themselves a dugout on the side of the ridge, not far from where the others were building one.

When this was done they began clearing the sagebrush from the land, above the settlement, where they had described to make the fields.

Their oldest son, John, who was ten years old and Hugh, next younger, who was eight this first summer on the ridge were able to help a great deal in this new enterprise for they, with the boys of the other families were assigned the task of herding the cows, which were herded in one herd. They were also instructed to keep a sharp lookout for Indians. This was hostile Indian country for only a short distance from this place the great Chief Walker laid buried. He had died on this very same Meadow Creek. Before the coming of the Mormon Pioneers this had been a favorite camping ground of the Indians. These Indians were not hostile, but they were feared because of their close connection with Chief Walker.

Ralph was always friendly with Chief Kanosh and his Indians and they shared their scanty food supply with these Indians hoping that the friendship might continue.

That summer and fall they saw many immigrant trains pass. They had built their dugout homes along the ridge a short distance from the main traveled road to California, which came in just below the ridge.

Many of the members of these immigrant trains had helped to persecute and drive the Mormons from Missouri and other places. They did many things to annoy the Mormon Settlers as they passed through their settlements.

One day as John, Hugh and the other boys were herding the cows near the road on the ridge, men from the immigrant train took the boys lunches from them and even shot at one of the little boys. 

-To be continued-


David Wm. Rowley
898 N. 4th East
Bountiful, Utah

Luke Day
973 So. 5th Est
Springville, Utah


William R. Jones
10 West 2nd North
Salt Lake City, Utah

Vivian Wade
Fillmore, Utah

Max Lambertson
164 Key Avenue
Salt Lake City, Utah

Family Representative:
Mary Ann Rowley Jones
252 Almond Street
Salt Lake City, Utah

Luella Jones Downard
352 East 2nd South
Price, Utah

Angie Warner
1733 South 8th East
Orem, Utah

This is your paper staff through whom the paper articles are processed. Please send them all family news to keep the rest of the family up to date on what is going on with your side of the family.

If the reporter does not send any news to the staff, the name of the reporter will be given but there will be no news to report.


Eleanor Terry
674 North 6th West
Provo, Utah

Myrtle Carlton
1915 North 750 West
Provo, Utah

Marjorie Judkins
1838 South 350 East
Orem, Utah


This is your History stuff. Please help them with any information you might have that will help to complete the records of your family line so that it might be available for the generations to come and remember, we’ve all had interesting experiences, but they don’t become history until they are written and then they must be recorded to become records. There will be two copies of each paper filled with the Genealogical Society. One for permanent records and one for regular use to be compiled into volumes. The John Rowley and Sara Wright Family Organization is now registered with the Utah Genealogical Society.

Mrs. Luella Downard
352 East 2nd South
Price, Utah

Mrs. Clarence (Madeline) Wade
Fillmore, Utah

Olive Jones
10 West 2nd North
Salt Lake City, Utah
Phone IL-5-2033


Clara O’Toole
1467 McArthur Blvd.
Oakland 2, California

Luke Day
973 South 5th East
Springville, Utah

Lena Bushnell
Fillmore, Utah


This is your research staff and the families they represent. If there is any way you can help; and there is. Please contact your representative. See that they get your complete family record that they may be in the family files, for we want a record of all the families. Accurate and complete.

Mrs. Angie Warner
1733 South 8th East
Orem, Utah

James and Ralph Rowley and Mary Day family

Vivian Wade
Fillmore, Utah

James Rowley and Martha Day family

John Van Rowley
2656 Chadwick Street
Salt Lake City, Utah

John T. Rowley and Jane Smith Family

George Albert Rowley
Helper, Utah

John T, Rowley and Jane Paul Family

Verda R. Murphy
Chinook, Montana
Luke Day on the Day side

Walter T. Rowley and Lena Peterson Family

Buella Rowley
Deseret, Utah

Ira Lyman and Elizabeth Rowley Family

Chester Lyman
Duchesne, Utah

Moroni T. Rowley and Mary Maxfield Family

Clara O’Toole
1467 McArthur Blvd.
Oakland 2, California

George Arthur Rowley and Stena Hansen Family

Hughetta Howarth
2015 Windsor
Salt Lake City, Utah

Maria Rowley and Hallam Smith Family

Estella Shail
70 Collage Avenue
Rexburg, Idaho

James Rowley and Hannah Barrows Family


Zuriah Rowley and Lorenzo Snow Lyman Family 



Reporter, David S. Rowley Jr. and wife Selma
R.R. #1 Box 73
Helper, Utah

Mr. and Mrs. Asael Jones had a son born to them on June 13th in Salt Lake City. Mrs. Jones drove herself to the hospital and beat the stork by just three minutes. Asael is the son of Mary Ann Rowley Jones who was the daughter of John T. and Jane Smith.

A second son, Marvin Burt, was born Sept. 2 to Mr. and Mrs. Manuel Louis Downard of Coalville, Utah. Manuel is the son of Luella Jones Downard daughter of Mary Ann Rowley Jones.

On May 5th, a son was born to Mr. and Mrs. Fred D. Rowley. The young man was given the name of Fred D. Jr. and is bound to be spoiled as he has four lovely sisters. When he was just five weeks old his mother took him and his four sisters to Alexandria, VA. To show him off to his Grandmother, Mrs. Ethel Campbell. Fred is the son of David S. Rowley, who was the son of John T. and Jane Smith W. Rowley.

Wayne A. Rowley graduated from Carbon College on May 29th and is now living in Salt Lake City and attending the University of Utah. Wayne is the son of David S. Rowley, Jr. who was the son of David S. Rowley, Sr. who was the son of John T. and Jane Smith.

Winford Rowley and his two sons of Provo and Grant Rowley of Salt Lake visited in Spring Glen on Memorial Day and decorated the graves of their families who are buried there. Grant also has a new son, Mathew, born October 13, 1957. Winford Rowley is the son of Erwin Rowley who was the son of John T. and Jane Smith. Grant is the brother of Doctor Dean A. Rowley and they are the sons of Silas Rowley who was the son of John T. and Jane Smith.

Miss Shirley Ann Rowley, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Lee Rowley was married June 1st to Ralph Keele of Price. The wedding took place at the home of the bride’s parents and was married by Bishop John J. Neilson. Miss Judy Rowley, sister of the bride was her attendant, Shirley was dressed in a beautiful wedding gown of place and Tulle and was ballerina length. She wore a crown of pearls from which fell her fingertip veil of illusion. She carried a bouquet of white carnations and red roses. After a honeymoon in Salt Lake City, the young couple are making their home in Spring Glen. Robert Lee Rowley is the son of David S. Rowley Sr. who was the son of John T. and Jane Smith.

Mrs. Jeanne O’Neal and her small daughter, Cindy of Vallejo, California spent three weeks of September visiting with her mother, Mrs. David S. Rowley, Sr. and with her brothers and sisters and friends of this area. Luella being sick.

Reporter: David Wm. Rowley
898 No. 4 East
Bountiful, Utah

Born recently to Marjorie Rowley and Dwain Judkins of Orem, Utah was a lovely daughter. She put in her appearances September 26, 1957 at the Utah Valley LDS Hospital in Provo. She weighed in at 7 lbs. 10 oz. and was named Dwana Kay. She had two older brothers. Marjorie is the daughter of David Wm. Rowley who was the son of Hugh Thompson Rowley who was the son of John T. and Jane Paul.

Born to Douglas A. Rowley and Vonna Ensign Rowley of Salt Lake City, was a boy. Born on November 4, 1957, he was named William Douglas. He shows resemblance to his good looking parents and weighed 7 lbs. 13 oz. Douglas is also the son of David Wm. Rowley.

Clayton A. Rowley, who is serving in the Northern California Mission, was transferred to Crescent City, California during the month of October, his present address is as follow:

Elder Clayton Rowley
1022 Anzio Street
Crescent City, California

He would very much appreciate hearing from you, his family. Clayton is the son of David Wm. Rowley.


Emerson A. Rowley
1419 Santa Clara
Eureka, California 

May 1, 1957 was the marriage date of Arthur Alderson Rowley to Miss Frances Louise Shoemaker, of Eureka, California. The groom Arthur Rowley is the son of Sarah Marie Alderson, who is the daughter of Mr. Arthur Alderson and Violet Demmon and was born in Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada. The groom’s father is Emerson Adis Rowley, son of Hugh Thompson Rowley, and Grace Davis and was born at Milo, Idaho. Hugh is the son of John T. and Jane Paul. Arthur joined the U.S.N. training at San Diego, California is now enjoying a 14 day leave visiting with his wife, Frances, along with her folks, and with his parents and brother and sister, his married sister and her husband Hugh G. Byrd, along with their children Linda and Larry Byrd. He will return next week to his home where he will attend school for 14 weeks preparing for the trade he expects to follow, which is electricity. This date is November 16, 1957.

August 31, 1957 was a very happy day in the family of Emerson A. Rowley as that is the day that his wife Sarah Marie was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. The ordinance was performed by the husband, Emerson, who was very happy to be allowed the privilege to act on this occasion. The baptism was witnessed by their oldest daughter, Mrs. Violet Byrd and the oldest son Emerson Alderson Rowley, this now makes the family 100% members of the Church.

Thanksgiving day for the Emerson A. Rowley will be very early this year so that the family can all celebrate the day together as Arthur will be returning to the Navy base, thereby it would leave an empty chair at the table. 

November 16, 1957 Emerson A. Rowley received a call. While sitting here writing this sheet I received a phone call from Arcata, California and to my surprise it was my nephew on the phone. He is filling a mission in Northern California and was in Arcata attending a baptismal service, the missionaries name was Elder Clayton Rowley, son of David William Rowley and Lillian Alcorn Rowley of Bountiful, Utah.

REPORTED BY, Verda Murphy
Rt. #2
Chinook, Montana

Due to the extremely cold weather in Montana many of the sugar beets have been frozen in the ground and it is doubtful that they will be able to harvest them at all.

Bert Murphy son of Bert Murphy and Verda Rowley Murphy is serving in the armed forces in Thule, Greenland. His wife Joyce, is in Dallas, Texas and Bert recently enjoyed a two week leave there with his wife.

The Bert Murphy and Verda Rowley Murphy family have all been down with the “Flu”. It developed into pneumonia and pleurisy with Virginia and she has been in the Sacred Hearts Hospital at Havre. She arrived home for Thanksgiving although she is still under the doctor’s care.

Lawrence Rowley, the son of Francis Rowley who was the son of Hugh T. Rowley who was the son of John T. Rowley and Jane Paul. Lawrence has been in the service in Alaska as a radio technician and is being released before Christmas, but at present is in the Naval Hospital in Bremerton, Washington for a throat disorder of some kind. He will be home for the holidays to see his wife Kay Green Rowley and his newborn son, born 26 of November at 9:15 and weighing 9 Ibs. and 34 oz. a fine big boy. His hair looks like it might be red and they named him Steven Vance Rowley. They are both doing fine. 

Francis and Erma also expect Noland, Lawrence’s brother home from Germany for the holidays, so it will be a happy reunion for them during the holiday. Both Lawrence and Noland expect to attend the B.Y.U. at Provo for the next quarter.

Miland Rowley, another brother of Lawrence’s and son Francis and Erma Rowley is working at the bank in Kalispell though he has had a sort of breakdown, but is still working.

Reported by: Ralph A. and Francis Rowley
          3814 No. 24th
          Tacoma 7, Washington

Ralph is employed five days a week at the lumber company in Olympia, Washington. About a year and a half ago we bought some acreage just out of Olympia. It had basic improvements but was rundown. It had taken most of his spare time to improve it. We expect to sell our home here and build there. Ralph is the son of Moroni Rowley and Mary Maxfield.

Richard Rowley, Ralph’s brother, has accepted a contract as principal of a high school in De Taer, Michigan.

Ralph’s son Richard is engaged to be married to 23 Miss Dorothy Atkins. They have set no definite time for their wedding. It probably will not take place until after the holidays.

A letter from Clara Rowley O’Toole informed us that her husband was in the hospital for surgery.


To have news from this family that Angie Warner had been ill the past little while. We were sorry to hear this and extend to her our warmest wishes for a quick and complete recovery.


Mrs. Luella Jones Downard, our Historian, has been very ill this past fall, with an attack of asthma. We are thankful that she is recuperating and is able to carry on. She has worked very hard on our family history and needs all the help she can get from the family. So send in what history you have and get your family histories written up.

Floyd Thompson Galloway joined the navy in October and is now in San Diego, California in basic training. Floyd is the son of the late Lehi Galloway and Annie Vern Poulsen Galloway of Salt Lake City, Utah.

Lawrence and Kay announced the birth of a baby son born at Havre, Montana, on November 25, 1957.  They named him Steven Vance Rowley. Lawrence is the son of Francis and Erma Rowley of Kalispell Montana, who is a grandson of John Rowley and Jane Paul. Lawrence is in Alaska in the service and is a radio and electronic technician and expects to be out of the service by Christmas time. He plans to attend the B.Y.U. after the holidays and wishes everyone a Merry Christmas.

Douglas Rowley blessed and named his son on Sunday, December 1, 1957. They named him William Douglas Rowley and call him Billy.

Diana Galloway, daughter of Charles Fredrick Galloway and Helen Lorraine Lombardi Galloway was baptized 30 November 1957 by her father and confirmed a member of the church December 1, 1957, by her father Charles, in the 14th Ward of the Bountiful Stake, Bountiful, Utah.

Wm. Henry Galloway (William Henry Galloway) is on a mission for the church in Texas. He is doing well and is enjoying his labors there.

Charles and Henry are the sons of George Galloway (George Curtis Galloway) and Sarah Ann Hughes (FS shows Sarah Ann Maples). George is the son of Harriet Ann Rowley Galloway who is the daughter of John T. Rowley and Jane Paul.

Lehi Allen Galloway and Leona Richardson Galloway are happy to announce the arrival of a fine baby boy and they named him Lee Wesley Galloway. He was born October 27, 1957. 

We received word through our Historian Luella Downard, from the Zuriah Rowley and Lorenzo Snow Lyman Family. Zuriah was the only daughter of James Rowley and unable to publish in this issue but will be in the February issue.


Whate’er you say, whate’er you do,
    Be it for shame or enduring glory,
From your cradle days to the end of life,
    You’re writing your life’s secret story.

Each month ends a thirty-page chapter,
    Each year means the end of a part,
and never an act is misstated,
    Nor ever one wish of the heart.

Each day when you wake, the book opens
    Revealing a page clean and white.
What thoughts and what words and what doings
    Will cover its surface by night?

God leaves that to you, you’re the writer,
    And never one word shall grow dim.
Till some day you write the word “finis,”
    And give back your life book to him.

At this time we wish to add our greetings to all the family in wishing all a Merry Christmas and a happy, prosperous New Year.

The Family Organization Presidency:
David Wm. Rowley
Luke Day
William Rowley Jones
Vivian Wade
Max Lambertson