January 1, 1902 (Wednesday) – I am going to write a brief synopsis of the lives of my two babies up until now after which I would like to keep a daily account of their doings and sayings as often as I have time to write.

Alfred Oscar was born 10 January 1900. When between six and seven weeks old he became he became sick with earsyplis and we nearly lost our baby, it started with a spot on top of his head and we thought he might have been a bit by a spider or something, it spread very quickly the next morning, which was Sunday, we took him down to Oscar’s parents, and remained there for two or three days, I was ordered to bed early and Grandma Lunt cared for him. He was worse next day and that evening two sisters from the Relief Society sat up with him, I longed to get out of bed and take care of him as he cried so pitifully, finally Grandma came down stairs and got him to sleep. The next day, Wednesday, he was still very ill, Brother Orme came to the house and we had him administer to the baby, he promised he would be well and also that he would have a good a night’s rest, he went to sleep before I did and when he woke up it was six thirty in the morning, surely the prayer had been answered. Inside of a couple of weeks the baby was well again. When he was about four months old we moved down to the Old Sperry farm. We spent the summer month’s there and on returning to town we rented the brown house, it wasn’t a very good place. He was weaned when he was thirteen months old and started to walk when 14 months old. Before this time he walked by chairs or of holding to his buggy he would go all over but on the day he really started to walk he came running to me as I was by the stove cooking breakfast and burned his hand on the stove. That didn’t stop him for he kept running from room to room nearly all of that day.

On the 4th of July he took sick and was sick for two or three days, running quite a fever. But since then he has been quite well and strong. He has been a very good baby having a cross spell only once in a while.

Lillian was born 30 October 1901 and was blessed 1 December 1901. She is larger than Alfred was, when she was two months old she weighed 11 ½ lbs. She is quite a good baby although she usually has one real hard crying spell a day, most always before going to bed.

1902 (Sunday) – Today is New Year’s Day. Alfred has been very good today. When I went out to get the kindling and coal in he stood on the porch and wanted to help me carry them in. Lillian had been quite restless this afternoon but is sleeping well this evening. We were quite disappointed because my husband didn’t come home today.

January 2, 1902 (Thursday) – In the afternoon Alfred stayed with Emma Wood and I took Lillian to Relief Society with me. She was very good all afternoon. Sister Jarrett gave me a lovely blessing in tongues; she told me I should be able to raise my children in the fear of the Lord. This evening I started Alfred saying his prayers.

January 3, 1902 (Friday) – Pearl took Alfred uptown and then to his Grandma Lunt’s. In the afternoon it was so warm and nice then children were able to play out in the yard. Alfred was quite delighted to be able to play outdoors. Lillian was quite restless all day.

January 4, 1902 (Saturday) – Pearl took Alfred up to his Grandma Sperry’s. Lillian was good all day.

January 5, 1902 (Sunday) – In the afternoon I took the children down to Mrs. Orme’s we stayed there until nearly nine o’clock

January 7, 1902 (Tuesday) – We are all alone tonight. Lillian has been good all day. Alfred has been quite cross he is cutting his eye and stomach teeth. I find he has one eye and one stomach tooth through. He woke up in the night crying, last night, he seemed to be afraid of a dog, he would say “Goggie [sic] coming mamma goggie [sic] coming”.

January 8, 1902 (Wednesday) – Alfred was watching all morning for his Uncle Shed to come and take us down to their place in the field. It was two o’clock before he came. Alfred enjoyed himself so much and was such a good boy. Lillian was quite good. She is getting so sweet, she will lie in her jumper and as it moved she laughs at the shadow on the wall.

January 10, 1902 (Friday) – Today is Alfred’s birthday he is two years old. I gave him a doll. He was quite good all day. In the afternoon I missed him and found him half a block away carrying a tin bucket, he was on his way to Grandma Lunt’s he said he was going for the volk [sic] (milk). We are staying alone tonight. Alfred’s Grandma Lunt sent him a rocking horse for a birthday present. He seemed tickled half to death over it. The baby has been very good all day.

January 11, 1902 (Saturday) – I kept his children home all day, Ruth and Pearl came out and Ruth stayed all night, Alfred is always glad to see them.

January 12, 1902 (Sunday) – I took the children up to their Grandma’s for the day. Lillian doesn’t like to be wrapped up and before we got there she was crying real hard.

January 13, 1902 (Monday) – Alfred went with me on some errands, first to Sister Soby’s then up to Mrs. Blacket’s then to Grandma Lunt’s and then to Aunt Emily Black’s for the butter. We walked nearly twelve blocks.

January 14, 1902 (Tuesday) – I took the children up to Mother’s. In the evening I took the baby with me to a dance. It was a Black Hawk War Veteran’s dance in the old social hall. The baby was pretty good although she cried quite hard three or four times. We slept to Mother’s.

January 29, 1902 (Wednesday) – In the afternoon I took the children over to Mrs. Orme’s.

January 30, 1902 (Thursday) – Lillian is three months old today. Their Aunt Lillian has been out today which pleased Alfred very much.

January 31, 1902 (Friday) – I took Alfred up to his Grandma Lunt’s, Lillian seems to be getting better natured, she is splendid at night, goes to bed at seven o’clock and does not get up until after eight in the morning.