I am the child of Charles Henry Sperry and Caroline Webb. He was born 15 October 1850 and she the 8th of April 1861.

He was the son of Charles Sperry and Emily Louisa Miller, she the daughter of David Webb and Esther Olpin.

After having three children, Charles Alonzo (Lon), Arthur David (Art) and Emily Esther (Esther) the next pair were twins, I came first and then my sister Jeanevery. When we were about six or seven weeks old Mother was sitting near a table with me lying across her lap, it was lunchtime and the three older children were anxiously waiting for mother to give them some bread and butter, etc. I must have become restless for she reached her arm under my shoulders and raised me up a bit, then went on slicing bread. She was cutting towards herself, and the knife slipped and cut my little face, I still have the mark just above my left eye and one on the left nostril of my nose.

Try to imagine the confusion, with me, no doubt, crying at the top of my voice, and the blood streaming down my face. Mother sent Lon, my oldest brother, about seven years old, down for her father to come quick. It was nearly three blocks away. Grandfather Webb was a maker of salve both for human beings and also for cattle, anyway he saved my face but I still have a scar above my left eye and my left nostril. It must have been a terrible shock for my mother, still weak from her sickness. I have heard some of the family say that they had to send her away for a couple weeks to visit with her sister, Emma Hague. I seem to have survived alright and the scar is scarcely discernible.

When the twins were about six months old we developed Erysipelas[1], mine went down my legs and through my toes, Jeanevery’s went up her back and formed a sore which made her very nervous.

One evening we were in the crib together, Father was sitting near by the head of the crib, he leaned over and tapped his paper on the crib, I laughed and kicked up my heels but my sister began to cry, she was frightened. Mother snatched her from the crib and said, “You may tease Jeanette all you want to, but you are not going to tease this baby. When we were about seven months old, Mother had a lady from across the street come and take care of her little brood while she went with Father to a theater, he was the leader of the Orchestra and had some complimentary tickets to take a partner with him.

Later when they came home, Mother picked the baby up to put some drops in her ears, as she suffered with earache a good deal; she smiled at them and seemed so much better. In those days Mother’s fed their babies at the breast. Mother had a bed to herself, plus a baby on each side of her. After nursing Jeanevery and she had gone to sleep, she turned over and fed me. She was very tired and fell off to sleep, when she woke up in the morning she turned over to the little one and found she had died in her sleep.

It must have been a terrible shock for Mother, of course I cannot remember anything about that but have been told what happened.

Esther and I used to have a small bed to ourselves. One evening Mother again went with Father to a theater and before she left I begged her to leave the lamp in our room, as we children were alone this night, the boys in the kitchen and we in our room. I was in bed before Esther and she turned the light way down, I begged her to turn it up just a little, but she would not, so I did something I had never thought of doing before, I lay awake until she fell asleep and then I crawled out of bed and turned the light up just a little and went back to bed and to sleep.

Later in the evening, Mother got uneasy and wanted to come back home. Uncle Enoch Bowles, a brother-in-law of Mother’s, offered to come up and see how we were. Everyone was asleep. He came into our bedroom; there was quite a breeze which caused the light to flare up and the curtains on the window to blow right over the lamp. He took the lamp out of our bedroom and blew out the light, we did not hear anything. He returned to the theater and told her everything was alright and she need not worry. I do not know when I was first told of it, but it surely was lucky that Mother got worried about us.

Another little experience that I never forgot, I was the last one to wake up that morning and when I opened my eyes, I head some lovely music, there stood my eldest brother Lon, playing the bass fiddle and singing, “Wake up little sister, the morning is bright, the birds are all singing to welcome the light, the buds are all opening the dew drops fall. If you shake but a branch there falls quite a shower.” I was thrilled through and through, it seemed almost heavenly to wake up under such a condition.

I remember when I was quite a youngster Mother had some company, two ladies visiting her for an hour or two, and kids like I tried to show off, running into the house through the east door and on into two more rooms then back into the kitchen and out of the west door, then I would run around the house to the east door and into the kitchen again, and continue to show off. As I came out from the other rooms I must have stumbled and hit my head on the doorknob, I went spinning around the room and fell on the hearth and fainted. One of the ladies picked me up in her arms; they were all frightened for I was as white as a sheet. I believe that is the only time I ever fainted in my life. What kids won’t do to show off. I remember when I was a kid about four years old; I had been staying at the home of my Grandmother Webb for a few days. They asked me if I would go home for a while and when there I found Mother sick in bed, someone picked up a little bundle and put on my lap, all I could see was some brown hair and I tried to push it off my lap I thought it was a dog they had given me, so they hurriedly took it away from me, but first they unwrapped its head and I found I had a lovely little sister; young though I was, I never forgot it.

When I was quite young, Mother handed me a small bucket and told me to go across the road to a creek, and bring back some drinking water for lunch. I had to cross the railroad track to get there; it was in the middle of the road. I got the water and in some way my foot got under the rail, and try as much as I could, I could not release it. Then I heard the rumble of the train. I could not see it as there was a curve just two blocks east of me. I gave a scream, Mother happened to be in the yard gathering chips to start a fire in the stove. She said afterwards that she could not remember whether she jumped over the fence or climbed through the poles. She reached me, gave my leg a bang and got me free, caught me up in her arms and away from danger. To this day, I can just see that old train coming around the bend. If Mother had not been near, I do not think they would have had time to stop it. It was certainly a narrow escape for me.

One day when I was rather young I was going down to school. I remember instead of walking I was skipping, and even as I left the house I began some serious thinking. I skipped over the middle of the railroad track (It was much too early for the train). I was thinking “Who am I?”, “Where did I come from?”, “When will I go back home?” and as I tried to fathom those things out, the most beautiful spirit came over me. Never before had I felt such a wonderful spirit. I was still skipping; it almost seemed as if I could go right off the ground, as if something precious was near me. Then all of the sudden I was at the schoolhouse gate, and I was sorry. I wanted to think things out. I did not want to join with the other children, but if I had not stopped there I might have gone on to Main Street, and even down to the depot, two blocks further on. Oh, how I wanted to finish that experience.

When I greeted my school mates it was such a different feeling, as if I had been let down or something.

A few days later while on my way to school I tried to get back that little spirit, but it was in vain, at least through all these days and years I have had the memory of what took place. I have surely felt my guardian angel near me.

In later years, a Patriarch gave me a blessing and said “Thy Guardian Angel has watched over you and kept you from evil of any kind.” It surely must have been a Guardian Angel that was with me that day.

Although there was almost three years between my sister, Esther (I called her Essie). I always felt that wherever she went I should go. One evening we went up to Shroder’s to visit Addie, and to serenade some places. There may have been others with us that evening.

That evening the older girls of the family were entertaining some guests and they called for Esther to come in and sing for them. She went in as big as can be and played to her own accompaniment. I followed her to the door, as I wanted to hear her sing. Someone saw me standing near the door and asked me to come in. Those older girls and Richard always made a fuss over me, so I went in and stood by the organ. Esther was accompanying herself on the organ. In one verse she forgot some of the words and improvised some, I spoke right up and said “Oh, that isn’t right,” was my sister mad. She would have liked to strangle me, but the company thought it was the cutest thing and got quite a bang out of it. I kept out of her reach and when we went home I ran ahead of her. When we reached home, Mother took my side. Esther said I could not sleep with her, and again Mother was on my side, so Esther rolled up a blanket and put it between us. She did not want me to touch her. We can laugh about it now, but then it was a terrible sin. The older members of the Shroder family all liked me and their brother Richard made quite a fuss of me. I called him my boyfriend. Whenever he came to our house he would take me on his knee and talk to me, and sometimes he would bring me some candy. One day he came in and I crawled under the table, he coaxed me to come out, said that he had something to tell me. He said he was going on a mission and had come to say goodbye to the family. Then he had another message for me, the Sisters and others were going to put on a Theater and they wanted me to take part in the show. Later the show was produced and my cousin, Will Sparks (William Lamont Sparks), and I were in it.

All I had to do was to ride across the stage, on Mr. D.K. Brown’s back and say “Get up Horsey. I know they could hear me clear down to the door. I think it was a Civil War Picture and we all sat on the floor in a circle for lunch, they passed dry bread in small pieces and Will and me had to eat most of it; the trouble was the older folks passed their share to Will and me, so we had to do most of the eating, generous people.

Another time I was in a play representing a boy, my name was Charley, when the curtain came up I was sitting on the floor in the front of the stage playing with some toys. I imagine I may have stretched my arms and maybe yawned a bit, and said “I am so sleepy,” and lay over on my toys and went to sleep. Soon some gypsy’s came in and took me away. My parents came in and when they found I was gone they went all around, in and out behind the room calling Charley, Charley. I felt so bad for them that I almost spoilt the show, for when I heard them calling Charley, Charley I started to run back on the stage. I felt so sorry for them. Someone caught me in time and saved the show.

One day my father took me with him down to band practice with him, I liked to listen to the music, all the men made a big fuss over me. One of the men took hold of my hand and tried to lift me on his knee, I cried out in pain, he had pulled my arm out of joint. Perhaps some of them could have put it back into place but I would not let them touch it, it was so painful. One of them wrapped a handkerchief around it and I went home with Father.

A day or two after, I asked Mother if I would look at the pictures in the Bible; that was something very precious and was kept high on a shelf. She brought it to me and laid it on the floor in front of me, and I started turning the leaves. It was a large book for a youngster like me. While turning the leaves I reached too far and my bone sprang back into place. I ran and told Mother what had happened, I was well again.

Before I started school, I had learned the Primer all by heart. Father liked to show me off when company was here; I remember one instance, a man, I believe he was an Ostler, in talking to him, Father told him how I could read. I took the Primer to him and he chose the story, he showed me the picture so I would know what story it was, then I would tell it back to him word by word. Father was quite pleased that I could do that, whether it was first, last or any part of the book.

When I was in the second grade in school, my teacher advanced me to the third grade for the next year, I went home so happy and told Mother about it, then Esther spoke up and said, oh no you are not going to, they have just changed books and I have seen them and they are too hard to read, she said she was going to remain in the third grade and that I would have to stay in the second grade, Mother agreed with her so I had to take the second grade over again. While I was going to the South School, I had to take part in a play. Lillie Lowe, daughter of a famous actress, was my sister and we were children of the streets. I was a boot black. My folks borrowed some boy’s clothes for me to wear, from a neighbor who had a boy my size, his Sunday-go-to-meeting clothes, while Lillie’s mother put ragged clothes on her and tore holes in her stockings, you can imagine how I felt, I hated to go on, but young as I was it taught me a lesson I never forgot.

One day Mother came home with a new pair of shoes for me, regular stogies; when Esther saw them she nearly took a fit. She said to mother, how could you buy such shoes for her? I was always grateful for things my parents gave me so though they were a bit heavy, I always wore them.

Soon after this a dancing Professor came to Nephi to start a dancing school. He also gave a matinee for the younger children, Father played for him so I trailed along with Esther to the Matinee. I was about the youngest there and the last in the line. One of the dances we learned was the Sicilians. The Professor always wore dancing Pumos for dancing. For quite a while we had stood in a long line to learn the steps, one day he decided to show us how we could dance, he decided to show us and to my surprise the Professor took me for his partner, little me, how I tried to dance those steps and keep up with him and those poor shoes clanked all the time. Afterwards he said to Dad, “Mr. Sperry how can you let your little girl wear such heavy shoes?” I can laugh at it now, but they were heavy on the feet.

When I was eight years old I read my first novel, “Dora Thorne”. Esther borrowed the book and she had said I could not read it, when she talked to me like that, so bossy, Mother took my part, and she said “oh yes if you want to.” Mother did not like to see her so bossy with me. Of course I thought it was all true and how I wished that someday I might go and see those lovely homes and gardens. The story was about a girl, a gatekeeper’s daughter, whose parents took care of the lovely home and garden for a family. The Gatekeeper had a lovely daughter, Dora Thorne, it was said her lips were as red as the strawberries she picked. The young heir of the family came there from college to open up the windows and take down the shutters for the lovely home and have it all ready for his parents. In the two weeks while waiting for them to come he fell desperately in love with Dora, naturally it was a great shock to the parents. They shut up the home and hurried him off to a foreign land. At the very end of the book he married her after all. Kids like me thought it all true and wished that someday I might have the opportunity of visiting some of those homes and gardens.

I was baptized when eight years old, Esther and Lizette Littley went down with me where the baptism was performed in a creek, I believe near an old saw mill. Afterwards as we were walking home I had to be so careful of what I said, the least little word or sentence and they would say: there is the first blemish on her clean slate. They got me quite worried.

[1] an acute febrile disease associated with intense edematous local inflammation of the skin and subcutaneous tissues caused by a hemolytic streptococcus

July 11, 1895 (Thursday) – Dwight Sparks’ and I went down to Kienke’s on horseback for some butter, I rode back to Sunday School and Dwight took the horse’s home. I remained there and at noon went down to Kienke’s for dinner, in the afternoon George Soby came down and later Richard Bale and Eliza Russell. I remained for supper and afterwards walked home. After I reached home, Tom Painter came down with Esther and I tried to ride his bicycle. He went home before eleven o’clock. Esther and I talked until twelve o’clock.

 July 12, 1895 (Friday) – We washed all day, we certainly had a large washing as we are a big family and we used to run the clothes through the old western washer twice, 15 minutes first time and 10 minutes the second time, and I was the one that had to run the washer. Besides that we boiled the clothes, rubbed all of them on the washboard and rinsed them in two waters. My, how lovely our clothes always looked when hanging on the line. It rained all afternoon. Evening: I wrote for the Primary Journal.

July 13, 1895 (Saturday) – I ironed nearly all day. In the early evening I went up to Mutual. I slept at Aunt Sarah Abbott’s.

July 14, 1895 (Sunday) – I went for my music class over to Emma Hague’s. Then I walked out home, finished my ironing then went up to Salisbury’s to take some yeast and a book. About nine o’clock Esther and I went to a party at the home of Nell Taylor.

July 15, 1895 (Monday) – Our Home Journal came, and I read it all afternoon.

July 16, 1895 (Tuesday) – Was home all day and learned my lecture for the Primary.

July 17, 1895 (Wednesday) – I took sick Friday night and was sick all day today. In the evening I took a ride up town. I did not go to Primary.

July 18, 1895 (Thursday) – I was sick all day.

July 19, 1895 (Friday) – I ironed some and in the afternoon I went up town. In the evening, I went down to Painter’s store to have the buttons fastened on my shoes. I stayed there about an hour and went to Physical Culture with Sarah Painter and Minnie Lunt and Lulu Ostler. I slept at Aunt Sarah Abbott’s.

July 20, 1895 (Saturday) – I walked home. Mother went down to Sister Tolley’s to a sewing bee, and left me home to do the work. In the late afternoon, I walked down to Tolley’s and took Ruth to Mother. Went home and did my evening chores then went up to Salisbury’s. Ada and I went for a walk until dark.

July 21, 1895 (Sunday) – We washed hard all day and towards evening we went up town to Mutual. Esther sang a song “If Sighs Had Wings”. After Mutual, a crowd of us went on to Grandma Sperry’s: Lillie Black, Earl Mangum, Ada Taylor, Asa Kienks, Art, Esther and myself. We had a good time dancing on the lawn. I suppose, and going through various parts of physical culture. Later, Esther and I came down to the farm in the buggy. We had to sprinkle the clothes. It was twelve o’clock before we got to bed.

July 22, 1895 (Monday) – I ironed in the morning and went up town in the afternoon. I took my music lesson. We obtained some pears while in town and I peeled some of them after returning home.

July 23, 1895 (Tuesday) – Remained home all day. Afternoon – I made some pear preserves.

July 24, 1895 (Wednesday) – Morning – helped with the regular morning work. In the afternoon Retta, Della and I went down to Primary (must have been at Nortonville). Retta and Della sang a song and I gave a Bible Story. Going home, Asa Kienks wanted me to ride behind him on his horse, but I refused.

July 25, 1895 (Thursday) – I walked up town for Sunday School, but it was too late, so I did not go in, I went to Grandma Sperry’s instead; had dinner there. Lil Black and I washed the dishes. Later about half past three, Earl Mangum and Tom Painter came up, later Roscoe Grover and Amy, Sarah and Itha Bigler came in for a few minutes. After they left, Della Kendall and Ada Taylor, and about sundown, we all went over to Lillie’s Grandma Adkinson’s, got some peaches and a lovely bouquet of flowers, a piece. We next went down to Painter’s Store, lit the lamp and locked the door (because it was Sunday) and ate chocolates, oranges and melons and had all the gum we wanted. While there we all got weighed, I forget how much the boys weighed, but Lillie was 104, Della 115, Ada 101 and me 94 lbs.. After that we took a walk and then came and sat on Grandma’s lawn until eleven o’clock.

July 26, 1895 (Friday) – I walked down home and we washed all day. Towards evening Esther, Melvin and I went up to town. Esther and I went to the store and bought me a Pink Waist. We went to a meeting in the Academy Hall and after the meeting we went to a Democratic Meeting. Eli Batchelor took Esther and Dora Norton home. Lil and I went alone up to Grandmothers. After Eli and Dora had gone, we went out doors and met Earl Mangum, Ada Taylor, Jennie and Della Kendall, and Tom Painter. We danced around on the lawn for a while and then sat on the lawn, talking until eleven o’clock, and then the company left.

July 27, 1895 (Saturday) – Early in the morning, I walked down home and then spent the day doing the ironing. In the evening, Dwight Sparks and I went up town to a surprise on Lillie Black. Those present were; Girls: Lil Black, Della and Jennie Kendall, Ada Taylor, Amy and Sarah Bigler, Sarah Painter; Minnie and Maud Abbott, Callie Carver, Esther and myself; Boys: Earl Mangum, Tom Painter, and Tom Norton, Roscoe Grover, Alonzo Ingram, Dwight Sparks and our brother Art and someone named George. We played Jeremiah Judkins trip to the World’s Fair, spin the plate, charades, and clap in and clap out. About one o’clock, lunch was served and we did not leave until two o’clock. I slept up to Aunt Sarah Abbott’s.

July 28, 1895 (Sunday) – I walked out home, spent most of the morning reading. Aunt Lucy came down and spent most of the day trying to help make Mother’s dress. In the afternoon, I pared and cored some apples to dry. Esther took Aunt Lucy home and remained there all night.

July 29, 1895 (Monday) – Aunt Lucy and Esther came down early, and Aunt Lucy finished the dress. Esther, Mother and Aunt Lucy went to town and remained there all night.

July 30, 1895 (Tuesday) – Esther and I cut corn and put in Brian about five gallons of sweet corn. In the evening, we went up town to Physical Culture, I joined the class. Afterwards, we drove out home. As we were going down the lane Dolly, our horse, got scared of a big sagebrush, and I was surely afraid she was going to tip us over.

July 31, 1895 (Wednesday) – Esther and I did some more corn. Later, I went up to Salisbury’s and Ada and I went down to Sam Tolley’s on an errand. We came home in the moonlight and I took Ada halfway home.

August 1, 1895 (Thursday) – I got up and churned before breakfast and then went down to Bartonville to Sunday School. In the afternoon, I went up to Perkin’s for a swing. About six o’clock, Ada and I came down to our place, and later Ada and I and Esther and the baby went back up to Perkin’s and had a lovely swing. (In later years I heard how the boys hated to see us come there, as they were so tired after working in the field, they wanted to rest, I felt quite embarrassed when I heard about it.) How selfish we can be and never realize it.

August 2, 1895 (Friday) – We washed all day. In the evening, Father and Mother and Esther went up town and remained all night. Ada Salisbury came down; she must have spent the night with me, as she and I played cards with Dwight Sparks and my brother Melvin until midnight.

August 3, 1895 (Saturday) – I did my morning chores and started my ironing, before Esther came home. I ironed all afternoon. Evening – I went up town to Mutual. I slept at Aunt Sarah Abbott’s; watched an eclipse of the moon.

August 4, 1895 (Sunday) – I took my music lesson. Afterwards, I went over to Grandma Sperry’s and became acquainted with some of my father’s cousins. I rode with them and Grandfather down home. In the evening, Esther and I went up town to get mother, she was at the home of Meg Buckholt’s; from there we went to Grandfather’s and then over to Miller’s. There we had ice cream, cake and peaches. We danced and had a good time. Afterwards, we came down home.

August 5, 1895 (Monday) – I finished my ironing, I cut for drying, a few apples. Between eight and nine o’clock, I took Esther up town, she is working at Candlands, I wrote a letter to my brother Lon and found one to me at the post office from him.

August 6, 1895 (Tuesday) – I helped to do the work. In the afternoon, I went up town. I went to Physical Culture for a little while, then I went to a dance in the Opera House with my brother Art.

August 8, 1895 (Thursday) – Sunday, I was home most of the day and played the organ most of the time. In the afternoon, Dwight and I went to town to bring Esther home. We were up to Uncle Will Sperry’s until ten o’clock. Then we came down home.

August 10, 1895 (Saturday) – Esther and I fasted all day. In the evening we went to Mutual. Esther and Dwight came down to the farm, I remained in town sleeping at Aunt Emily Black’s.

August 11, 1895 (Sunday) – I took my music lesson. Afterwards, I walked out home.

August 13, 1895 (Tuesday) – Esther, Art and I washed sacks. In the afternoon, Esther and I cut corn. In the evening, we went up town. I went to a dance with Earl Mangum. Esther and Dwight walked out home.

August 14, 1895 (Wednesday) – I went to Primary and gave a reading.

August 15, 1895 (Thursday) – I walked up to Sunday School. Afterwards, I went up to Aunt Sarah Abbott’s (Sarah Elizabeth Sperry). About two o’clock, I went up to Painter’s, Sadie (Sadie Painter) and I went down to see Lulu Ostler, Ernest Winn, and Earl Mangum came up there. I remained there until four o’clock then I went down to McCune’s to practice a song as Pearl (Margaret Pearl McCune) is going to play for me. Sundown, I walked out home.

August 17, 1895 (Saturday) – At home, I ironed nearly all day. In the afternoon, I walked up town. I went over to Aunt Emma Hague’s for Pet to give me my music lesson, from there I went up to Burton’s. Mrs. Burton invited me to come and stay at her home during the coming winter, so I could attend school all winter (when on the farm, we usually walked up to school in the fall and then returned back again in the spring, it made us lose a lot of time, not going during the cold weather). It was very kind of them to invite me there. They thought a lot of Lon and asked him if he had a sister who would like to be with them during the winter. There were Mr. & Mrs. Enoch Burton, just one child, a son Louie, just a child but a mischievous one, and Mr. Burton’s mother in the family. I called for Ada Taylor and we went to Mutual. I had to sing a song. May Grover and I walked together as far as our paths went the same way, then I went to Aunt Sarah Abbott’s and slept there. 

August 18, 1895 (Sunday) – I walked out home. In the evening Ruth was sick, but she felt better in the morning.

August 20, 1895 (Tuesday) – I did my Saturdays cleaning and then went up town. Esther, Melvin and I went up to our lot to gather fruit. Melvin went down to the farm from there, Esther and I went over to Burton’s. Evening – we went to a Physical Culture. We slept to Aunt Emily Black’s.

August 21, 1895 (Wednesday) – It was snowing when we got up this morning so we had to wait until Dwight came for us about noon. Home all day on Sunday. Monday it was too stormy to wash.

August 24, 1895 (Saturday) – We washed nearly all day, towards evening I went to town and took my music lesson, then I went to Mutual. Thursday we ironed all day.

August 27, 1895 (Tuesday) – I went up town to a dance with Esther and Father was leader of the band we always had to go early and before the dance commenced, Professor Pickering came up to Father, told him he would like to meet a young girl who wore her dresses shorter then dragging in the floor (as was the custom with the young and older ladies, those days). Esther and I were on the stage back of the orchestra waiting for the dancers to arrive, then we would go down and sit just below the orchestra. Father told him that he had two daughters there and the Professor seemed quite pleased, as Father turned to Esther but she said “Oh no Father I wouldn’t dare do that”, I will never forget the look of disgust on Father’s face and then he spoke to me and said come on Jeanette so shyly I came forward and was introduced to him. Then I came down from the stage to the Ballroom floor and the orchestra started to play a dance tune that was becoming popular. Mr. Pickering taught me two dances that were becoming popular at that time. After the bell had started and those two dances were called, Mr. Pickering came and danced those two dances with me. After the dance was over as we were leaving the building the Professor called Father back and Esther and I walked on up to Grandmother Sperry’s. We could hardly wait for Father to come. We were so curious to learn what he wanted of Father. Because at the close of the dance he extended an invitation to all who wanted to attend a free dance the next evening where he was going to demonstrate some new dances, as he intended starting a dancing class in the near future. Just as Father, Esther and I were leaving the hall the Professor opened the door and said “Oh Mr. Sperry, I would like to talk to you.” So Esther and I went without him up to Grandfather Sperry’s where our horse and buggy were waiting. Father told us he wanted him to bring me up to the Opera House about four o’clock the next day, as He wanted to practice the dances with me, as he wanted me to help introduce his dances. Dad, Esther and I rode down to the farm.

August 28, 1895 (Wednesday) – This was a red letter day for me, I was quite a nervous girl with not too much confidence in myself, but I was so thrilled I scarcely slept at all that night. Mother couldn’t imagine what had happened when I was out of bed so early in the morning, after a dance the night before when she spoke to me I went up to her and said “Mother, I am going to help a dancing Professor introduce his dances tonight.” I told her that Father was going to take me up to the Opera House this afternoon and play the violin while he taught me the dances. Then I told her how Esther acted and she said “I am glad you got the chance to do it.” In the afternoon, I went through the dances. Father thought he should have gone through the dance once more, it was the Harvard Gavotte, but he said “Mr. Sperry, that daughter of yours is so light on her feet she could dance anything.”

In the evening, first a waltz was called and all there were invited to dance. He came up to me for the dance, he whispered in my ear, “I thought I would call a waltz so that we could get in step with each other”. Then the dances commenced, I distinctly remember the names of the two new ones, the Harvard Gavotte and the Wentworth. When he came and asked me for the Harvard Gavotte, Father leaned over, and in a loud whisper said “I don’t think she can remember that with only one practice, why don’t you get one of the Miss Foote’s?” I immediately sat down and the professor stepped back and waited. The music started and the professor came again and we danced it together. I always liked that dance even better than the others, but it never did become popular. There seemed to be so much grace and beauty in it.

During the dance he called the Polka, to give me a chance to rest, that was something I never did need at a dance. He danced with one of the Foote girls, but here came a young chap and asked for the dance, a town boy, he had never asked me for a dance before and he asked for the dance, we surely did dance from one end of the floor to the other. Afterwards we continued our dances and last of all he called the medley and danced with the other Miss Foote, while here came another boy from the side lines and asked me to dance with him. That was one time that I could say that I never missed a dance. In talking about it, my sister and some of her girlfriends tried to tease me, they said I looked so frightened as if to say “don’t whip me this time and I will never do it again.” I think it was plain jealousy on their part. Mr. Grover told me in one of the dances, when I had to waltz out from under his arm and on to meet him, I looked as if I were floating in the air, so I guess I did not do so bad after all, at least after then when I was at a dance, I never lacked for a dancing partner. It was the older boys who danced with me now. And they were the very best dancers in the town.

August 30, 1895 (Friday) – Esther (Emily Esther Sperry) and I did the washing and prepared for the Thrasher’s. On Tuesday, they came at noon. Retta (Retta Sperry), Lillian (Lillian May Sperry) and I went up town. I took my music lesson and then we returned home. In the evening some of the Thrasher’s came in the house and we played and sang for them.

September 2, 1895 (Monday) – We had the Thrasher’s all day, Ada Salisbury came down and helped me with the dishes.

September 3, 1895 (Tuesday) – We washed and put up some fruit. In the afternoon, my tooth began to ache, and kept all night.

September 4, 1895 (Wednesday) – My tooth is still aching. I received a letter from Leah Reid.

September 5, 1895 (Thursday) – Mary Fryer gave me a piece of her wedding cake. I was at Burton’s all day, towards evening I went over to Sorenson’s and Zina and I went up to our old home.