Journal: Jeanette Sperry

1903 (Wednesday) – Have been feeling quite miserable all week on account of having my teeth drawn. Received a letter from my husband (Alfred Oscar Lunt) Tuesday and Thursday.

1904 (Thursday) – It has been almost a year since I wrote in my journal the last time. I was telling about our trip to Manti. Shortly after that, Grandpa and Grandma Sperry (Charles Sperry and Emily Louisa Miller)  celebrated their wedding day. They had done this most every year since their golden wedding day. 

My husband was only in town one day from the latter part of January until the last of June. I took the children (Alfred Oscar, Jr. and Lillian Lunt) and went up to meet him at Provo, we stayed at the Greer Hotel the first day and then up to Aunt Lucy Schofield’s (Lucy Jane Webb) the rest of the visit. Alfred had such beautiful curls. I had bought him a cap and he looked so sweet in it with his burly hair all down around his shoulders. Oscar took the children for a walk and when he brought them back he had been to a barber shop and had all those beautiful curls cut off, he was only a baby between three and four years old, you should have seen the cap on his head, it hung on his ears. I could of cried I felt so bad.

It was Tuesday when we went up there and Oscar returned to the sheep herd on Saturday, the children and I came home the following Monday. We all enjoyed our visit very much. The latter part of June, Brother and Sister Lunt (Alfred Lunt and Priscilla Pitt) went to Canada for the summer as Edgar (John Edgar Lunt) is living there. I missed them very much as I have been staying alone most of the summer. I used to worry quite a bit over staying alone. I knew there was nothing to worry about but I couldn’t seem to get in bed. I remember one evening I had been fretting quite a bit about it and after saying my prayers at night, as I arose from my knees, I found myself singing “‘Tis better far for us to strive our useless cares from us to drive. Do this and joy your heart will swell. All is well. All is well.” I had to cry a little as I crept into bed, but it was tears of joy and I had no fear.

On the 9th of October my husband came home. I wasn’t expecting him for another week or 10 days, and about one o’clock the next morning, Charles Gilbert (Charles Gilbert Lunt) was born. I surely felt I was blessed for if he hadn’t come home I might have been all alone with my two little children.

I got along really remarkably well. Esther (Emily Esther Sperry) came and stayed with me for about three weeks and at the time I went up to Mother’s (Caroline Webb) to live, as my husband had gone out to the sheep herd for the winter. Father (Charles Henry Sperry) was working down to Milford, Lon (Charles Alonzo Sperry) was on a mission in Australia, my brother Arthur (Arthur David Sperry) was working, also, in Milford, Melvin (Henry Melvin Sperry), Retta (Retta Sperry) and Ruth (Ruth Sperry) were going to school in Provo, Mother was with them, keeping house for them, so there was only Esther, Lillian (Lillian May Sperry), Della (Emma Della Sperry) and Pearl (Eva Pearl Sperry) at home. We felt it was best for all around for me to spend the winter there.

During the holidays the folks came down from Provo so we had quite a houseful, the day they left for Provo, Father came home for a few days, he is now working in Fay, Nevada. Our brother Art passed through Nephi and stopped for a few hours. On the last day of January my husband came home. It was quite a surprise to me. I was in Sunday School when he came. He stayed about ten days. The children enjoyed their daddy very much, he would romp with them just like a child and they enjoyed it very much. We have all kept well and thus far have escaped the dread disease of smallpox, which has been raging here this winter.

Our baby is very good. We named him Charles Gilbert. Alfred and Lillian are good little souls, but oh so full of mischief. We have to watch Miss Lillian all the time or she tells all that transpires to everybody that comes here. Last Friday (12th), Mrs. E. D. Sorenson called to see us, the two children were in the kitchen together and I thought their Lillian was with them, but they were alone for about an hour when we went into the kitchen, well, you should have seen. My heart sank within me when I went to the door and looked in. Lillian had taken a tour around the room with the flour can and Alfred had followed up with the washbasin. It looked as if they had been mixing bread all over the floor.

Today we have been busy ironing and sewing. I am preparing to shorten my baby. Jennie Teasdale has been up for a little while. I can hardly read what I have written as I am holding the book on my knee to write and tettering the baby at the same time.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s